The School Information (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2012 came into force on 1 September 2012. This requires the Governing Body to arrange for specific information which must be published on the school website.
1. School Contact Details:
King Edward VI Handsworth School for Girls,
Rose Hill Road,
Telephone – 0121 554 2342
Headteacher: Mrs Amy Whittall
King Edward VI Handsworth School for Girls is part of the King Edward VI Multi Academy Trust (MAT)
King Edward VI Academy Trust Birmingham
Foundation Office, Edgbaston Park Road, Birmingham B15 2UD
Tel: 0121 472 1147
Chair of the governing body:
Mr David Wheeldon
c/o The Schools of King Edward the Sixth in Birmingham
Edgbaston Park Road
Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL)
Miss J Glendenning – Assistant Head
Miss C Berry – Deputy Head
Mr N Heppel – Assistant Head
The Data Protection Officer for the Academy Trust is Laura Ganderton.
Telephone: 0121 472 1147
Post: Foundation Office, Edgbaston Park Road, Birmingham B15 2UD.
The Data Protection Lead for this school is Mr C Trotter
2. Admissions Arrangements:
- School Admission policy: September 2019: click here.
- This information may also be accessed on the Birmingham local Authority’s composite prospectus published at – https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/schooladmissions
- The Grammar Schools in Birmingham Admission information
3. Exclusions policy
4. Ofsted Reports
School Ofsted Reports can be located on the school website: http://www.kingedwardvi.bham.sch.uk/aboutm us/ofsted/
5. Exam and assessment Results
Key Stage 4 results: 2017
|Progress 8 Score||0.64|
|Attainment 8 score||74.2|
|Percentage of pupils achieving grade 5 or above in Maths and English||99%|
|Percentage of pupils entering the English Baccalaureate||91%|
|Percentage of pupils achieving the English Baccalaureate at grade 5/C or above||89%|
|Percentage of pupils staying in education or employment after key stage 4||100%|
Key Stage 5 (16-19) results: 2017
|Progress in English and Maths||None entered in Key Stage 5|
|Progress compared to students across England||A Levels: -0.27 All “Level 3” academic qualifications: -0.26|
|Average grade||A Levels: B , All “Level 3” academic qualifications: B|
|Student retention (percentage who complete the study programme)||99.3% (2016 data)|
|Student destination (percentage who continue into education, employment or training )||90% (2015 cohort – latest figures from DfE)|
6. Performance tables
The latest School performance tables can be found here.
- Information about the content of the curriculum content for each subject and any other additional information can be accessed via the school website at: http://www.kingedwardvi.bham.sch.uk/curriculum/
- The subjects offered and timetable allocation (number of one hour periods per Fortnight) are listed below:
At GCSE the following courses are offered:
- Biology, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, ICT, Mathematics, Physics and a Modern Foreign Language (French or German) and a Humanity (Geography, History or Religious Studies).
Options (Two subjects are chosen from the following):
- Art, Drama, French, Geography, German, History, Music, Religious Studies and Technology (Food or Textiles).
A number of students also sit GCSE PE, which is studied in their Games lessons.
In Year 12 (at AS) and Year 13 (A2) the following subjects are offered:
- Art, Biology, Chemistry, Drama, Economics, English Literature, French, Geography, German, History, Mathematics and Further Mathematics, Music, Physics, Psychology and Religious Studies. All A level subjects are only offered if numbers are sufficient to run the course. In addition all students carry out an Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) during year 12 and 13.
8. Behaviour Policy
9. Pupil Premium
12. Special Educational needs and disabilities (SEND)
13. Equality objectives
14. Complaints policy
15. Annual reports and accounts
16. Governors information and duties
17. Charging and remission policies
18. Values and ethos
19. Careers Programme Information
King Edward VI Handsworth School for Girls is committed to providing a comprehensive and planned programme of impartial careers education and advice. We seek to do this through these website pages, our careers events throughout the academic year and our Careers Advisor, Mrs Connor.
Miss N Murrall (Assistant Headteacher with responsibility for CEAIG)
Mrs J Nolan (Post 16 Careers, Enrichment and Work Related Learning Coordinator)
Mrs N Connor (Careers Advisor)
Mrs Connor is in the Careers Office every Wednesday and is available either via pre-arranged appointments or for drop ins during break and lunchtime.
New Careers Statutory Guidance
The DfE released a new statutory guidance document in January 2018, including a number of new requirements for school careers programmes, most of which are to be met by the end of 2020. Many of the requirements are already met at King Edward VI Handsworth School for Girls, but we will be working towards those that are not.
Should you require a paper copy of any of the information detailed on our website, please contact the main school office on 0121 554 2342.